Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Is Magic Right or Wrong?

Guess who is back in the mother f’ing house!

That’s right; your boy Husky Downs is back and ready to share some thangs with you. The first thing I’ve got to talk about is the collapse of my Los Angeles Lakers. After all, the way they got done up by Dallas, that was just EPIC!

I digress a bit, and let me tell you, yesterday the Magic man (Magic Johnson) came to my place of business. Our company decided to go with his catering service for our cafeteria food and as such, he came to inaugurate the joyous “signing”.  He signed autographs, took pictures and gave a speech. I wanted to ask him about his comment the night before, after the Lakers lost, he said he thought the Lakers should “blow up the team”.  Now, I have many friends who are die hard Laker fans and hearing Magic say that…let’s just say that did not sit well with them.

Personally, I’m not sure what to make of that comment; after all, Magic is a TV analyst now, he no longer is part owner of the Lakers (only holds small stock) as he once was in the past and while he is a legend, he also needs to be objective on the air. As a consumer and basketball fan, that’s what we all should want right? I mean, if every TV sports analyst were loyal through and though, it would be biased commentary and it would be dull.  So it’s refreshing that somebody who will always love the Lakers, it’s refreshing to hear him be so critical. Therefore, I have no issue with him having made such a statement.

That said, I do not agree with him.

The purple and gold need to get younger and more athletic; however, this can be achieved by re-tooling the team – not by blowing it up. While Dwight Howard’s name keeps getting tossed around more than photos of Tila Tequila’s threesome on the internet, I think he’s a great piece for the future, but I wouldn’t go after him first. I would secure an elite guard like Chris Paul of the Hornets or Derron Williams, currently in New Jersey. It’s been said that Russell Westbrook of the Thunder will be available also; however, after the run the Thunder are currently on in the playoffs, I don’t see the Thunder letting him go. Also, being a rival of the Lakers, I don’t see them wanting to strengthen the Lakers without asking for a whole lot in return.

Scratch Westbrook.

Now, if the Lakers simply cannot get two big stars (i.e. Howard and one of the guards mentioned); I could see them going for Howard and possibly one of the other guards available. One name that popped up this week is Aaron Brooks, currently on the Houston Rockets. Basketball fans and Lakers fans to be specific know who this kid is and he definitely would be a nice addition to the team. After all, this is only if the Lakers were unable to get one of the premier guards in the league.

In any case, you’re going to hear these names and many others until next season and thorough out all of next season. With the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) likely to expire (much like the NFL’s) forcing a lockout, we’re going to probably see a shortened season, in which case there will not be any moves for awhile.

Despite the aforementioned, I am confident that the Lakers’ management will provide Kobe with the players to help squeeze out at least another title before he retires.

What say you? What do you think the Lakers should do? What do you think will actually happen?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger