Saturday, February 18, 2012

Out of Shape - But NOT Out of Mind

Lately, I've been trying to get back into basketball shape; but moreover, I'm trying to get back in shape - period. By the way, this isn't solely based on a resolution, the new year and new resolutions just happened to be the final straw.

(I am doing the Wayne's World wavey things with my hands right now to signify that I am taking you back in time for a moment.)

A couple weeks ago I went to L.A. Fitness, shot around a bit and even played a half court game of two-on-two. I actually played quite well. Unfortunately, later that day I caught a bad cold and spent the next two-weeks getting over it.

#BeforeThatItHadBeenAMonth
#BeforeThatItHasBeenYears

Which brings us to today and the lovely shot you see above, which I took inside the Brea Community Center in Brea, CA. On a side note, it's a pretty nice gym. But, I digress. I showed up and I played with several co-workers who needless to say are in much better shape than I am. They're a bunch of spry thunder-cats I tell you. I mean, they play in leagues and when not playing in leagues, many of them play recreational ball often; these dudes play full court every time to boot.

Maniacs I say!

Any how,  I definitely was not and am not in shape to run full court, but hey, give me some credit - I try/tried. Either way, I'm paying for it now with sore knees, a sore ankles and overall a sore body. At 33 years old, I definitely am not a young buck. It's honestly very frustrating. You see, I was an avid ball player and not to toot my own horn (but I will), but I was pretty good in High School and years after. It wasn't until I got into a serious relationship that I slowly but surely got caught up in the relationship and played less and less until it had been years since I had touched a ball.

#YesIRegretIt

So, today I ran up and down, made some good passes, hit a few shots - but I was beyond winded and I missed shots I used to make with ease due to my legs being just way too tired. Therein my friends lies the frustration. You see, I've got this image of how I used to play and it's not jiving with my body and how I play now. The two are not bff's (best friends forever) and it frustrated and still frustrates the heck out of me. I will say though, I had a blast and I guess as long as I make time to hit the gym, do some cardio and play ball, in no time I should somewhat get back to what I used to be. Father time won't allow me to fully return to form, but anything even remotely close to what I was will be just fine with me. Of course, it is easier said than done.

If I had to grade my performance, I will be honest and say I was a D+.

Let us asses further, shall we?

I handled point, I did not have any turnovers; however, due to my lack of stamina, my all around game was affected - especially my defense. Ugh. That was an epic fail if ever there was one on the court. It's okay though, I'm here to tell you that I am determined to improve my diet immediately, while increasing the frequency in which I work out and play ball and/or shoot around. I intend to bring you updates with updated grades on how I did. Stay around and read long enough and you WILL see me get an A+. I promise you that.

That's all I've got, if you have any comments or tips, as always, please do share.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and blog!

#TimeToIceTheKnees

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger