Saturday, April 9, 2011

Flashback Friday - On Saturday (Better Late Than Never)

It was the 80th birthday party for Grandma Downs, and as always, The Write Guyz were in attendance. There were about 200 people present at my mom's hous on this day. It started in the afternoon, but it had all the "fixings" for a crazy night.

Although this flashback doesn't go into detail on the entire night, I can assure you - it was a wild night. Let's just say, many got so tipsy, with clothes on they started jumping in the pool; and I do remember, it was not a hot summer night.

My mother's back yard is pretty big and on this day, it was filled with tables everywhere, chips, salsa, and people - family and friends. There was a margarita machine by the pool and conveniently placed, there was also the infamous staple of many Mexican family gatherings-the taco man.

After all, who better to hire for hundreds of people than THE TACO MAN!

So let's fast forward to grub time. The food was now ready and The Write Guyz were lined up by the pool, near the gazebo where the taco man was serving up hot loving...err...tacos.

Chub Johnson = 4 tacos
Grip Johnson = 5 tacos
Husky Downs = 3 tacos
Jimmy Kicks = 2 tacos


Did any of us get seconds, well...that's none of your damn business! Ha!

Okay, so there's this goofy brick wall by the pool. I say goofy because the top bricks are loose. Not really sure why my mom never cemented them together, but they form a wall around the pump for the pool, so it's not like they really get in the way. I mean, who on earth besides the pool man, would come into contact with such a wall right?

Wrong!

Chub Johnson enter's into the picture. Ha! Ha!

I sat on the diving board to eat, Jimmy Kicks, Chub Johson, and Grip Johnson were standing eating near the "goofy" wall. Chub decides, hey there's a wall, I'm going to lean on it.

Bad idea!

This is when all hell broke loose. As soon as he leaned on it, the bricks go flying back and they landed on top of the water pump - which by the way is made out of plastic, and that's when it happened...

SWOOSH! SWOOSH! SWOOSH!

The water started spraying heavily everywhere. The funny part was, Chub had his food in his hand and although the water was shooting at him wetting him, he was protecting the tacos like they were blood diamonds. Even funnier than that, Chub never really moved out of the way and there was good reason for that - HA! HA! - He actually fell back and had one arm against the back wall and the other holding onto the food for dear life.

OMG! I'm literally crying laughing thinking about it. HA! HA!

One would think it would be instinctual for Chub to drop the plate of food and use his off hand to hold himself up, HA! HA!, but I mean, I don't blame the man, those were some bomb tacos. HA! HA! If memory serves me correctly, Grp Johnson jumped up (Grip jumped? I know right!) and grabbed Chub's hand, the one which held the tacos holding him up. Again, Grip managed to hold onto Chub without knocking over the plate of food.

I think Chub was in shock and I know I was cracking up so hard I couldn't react. My side was hurting, I had tears and it was awesome!

I remember Jimmy Kicks running behind the broken down wall which looked like the Berlin Wall to turn off the valve; however, it wasn't before he got completely drenched. In the words of Jimmy:

"It was crazy, it was like a geyser the way the water shot out"

Aside from my mom showing up just after the fact yelling as if we intended to do it and as if having a "fake wall" wasn't a cruel practical joke in it of itself whether intentional or not, the water had been contained. As for our laughter though, it had only begun; once Chub could actually gather his thoughts and dry off, he joined the rest of us laughing until our sides hurted. To this day when the moment comes up we all crack up as if it had happened yesterday.

My grandmother's 80th was definitely memorable for all the "write" reasons!

**Please Note: No tacos were harmed on this day***

Thank you Grip, Chub, and Jimmy!

HA! HA!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger